It is a hard time when your parent’s health starts to decline. It is often difficult to determine when they need assistance. Here is a list of some of the signs that it might be time to get them some help.
Checklist of signs that you need to watch for:
- Difficulty walking — unsteady when standing — recent fall(s)
- Poor grooming / personal hygiene — soiled clothing
- Loss of appetite — changes in eating/cooking habits
- Spoiled / outdated food in the fridge — little nutritious food at home
- Diminished driving skills — recent accidents — near misses
- Loss of interest in activities once enjoyed
- Reluctance to socialize
- Difficulty concentrating — poor judgment
- Memory loss — forgetfulness — confusion
- Mishandled medications
- Persistent fatigue — lack of energy
- Personality changes — irritability — sudden mood changes
- Unopened mail — past due bills — mishandled finances
- Poor housekeeping / home maintenance — unsafe conditions
Here is a free checklist download of some more questions to ask your parent.
Home safety checklist – free download.